Black East Indies ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LauraSBale, Sep 15, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 2 BEI and they are 11 weeks old, i dont know the sex, and now I'm really starting to wonder what they are, they dont quack it almost like a rasp, almost the same sound when they were just baby's, but a little louder.

what kind of sound does a female and male make when you can sex?, i dont see curl tail feather yet either, what age do those show up at?

thanks

2. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    I have cayugas which are similar to BEIs. Mine all sounded the same the whole time, and they all ended up being drakes (boys). Their tail feathers came in at 16-18 weeks. So you have a little ways to go before the tail feather starts to curl. More than likely, by the way you described the sound of their voices, you have males.

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I have Swedish and my male sounds almost like a snake hissing and my female does a full "quack". I can tell them apart very very easy there sounds are not at all simular.

4. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

oh i was hoping for at least one to be a girl

well i guess it a watch game now, to see when their tails will curl.

I have Rouen x magpies and i could them at about 8 weeks

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Don't count them out as all boys just yet. I breed bantam ducks and a lot of mine it is impossible for me to tell by sound the difference between the boys and girls. Full sized ducks are much easier to tell and I have heard that Calls are really easy to tell (I don't raise Calls). My other bantam ducks though, most of them sound almost identical (to me anyway, lol).

6. Rooster2410

Rooster2410 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Glad I found this, I just bought a boy BEI today and put him in a small cage cause I dont want to put him in the pen at night, and he sounds like he was choking on something. It is a "rasp" sound. But he is eating and drinking and looks normal. No gagging motion or anything. Just that raspy choking sound every now and then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by