Black egg?!?! Rotten or baby ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Aug 17, 2013.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

This egg is completely black with a little air pouch. I thought maybe it was rotten so I smelled it but it was missing that distinct rotten egg smell. Instead it smelt warm and clean. My broody has been laying on this egg for awhile. Not quiet sure how long. Anyone know ? [​IMG]

2. OliverZoe

OliverZoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I know when my chicken egg was about to hatch when I candled it I could not see through it. [​IMG]

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

T
    Did it hatch that day or in a few days??? ;D

4. OliverZoe

Aug 11, 2013
    Has she been laying on it around 21 days?

It could be a few days it really depends on how long the hen has been laying on it.

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

The thing is. I really don't know. It was sort of a surprise to us. On vacation and came back with a broody laying on eggs

6. OliverZoe

Aug 11, 2013
    can you see any movement when you candle it?

Not knowing how long the hen has been laying on it, it is really hard to tell if it is good or not! I guess you will have to wait and see [​IMG] if it is good you won't have to wait a long time as it is pretty developed in there.

Let us know how it goes.

7. OneCrazyCowgirl

Here's a pic of the black egg on its side[​IMG]

8. OneCrazyCowgirl

It's so black that its hard to see movement. Underneath is a little bit of room that isn't black but I don't wanna move the egg around too much

9. OliverZoe

Aug 11, 2013
    All I can say without knowing how long the egg has been under the hen is that when my chicken egg was getting close to the hatch day my egg was black like that when I candled it and it was also very! very! hard to see movement but if I looked really close sometimes I could, but also you don't want to candle and handle it too much which is sometimes for me very hard not to do [​IMG]

10. OneCrazyCowgirl

Same here
    Same here! I love to candle em! Well from what I'm aware of she has been on them for about longer than a week but I was gone before then so she could have been even longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by