Black eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sinister, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Sinister

Sinister Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    I have 3 cambells, a pekin and a black and white swedish. This month I started getting eggs, two a day for the most part. They are chicken egg sized, one tends to be slightly bigger, but not much. Both are a light pink in color. I figured it was the cambells laying since the pekin should be a bit bigger. I didn't really give it much thought though, as I was just happy to get the eggs.

Now I am getting 3 a day and one is black. It's the same size as the larger pink one, but it is almost completely dark black when I pick it up. When I wash it to get the mud off, it washes out to a charcoal grey in color. I had heard of different colored eggs before, but never black ones. We have gotten two black ones so far. I assume its the swedish laying, but not really sure.

I'll try to get some picture tomorrow morning of before and after washing.

2. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Well i know that pekin lay a large white egg.So the pink eggs cant be coming from her.
    The only duck ive ever heard of laying a black egg are Cayuga.Are you suree yours may not be a mix of them? Or maybe Swedish lay black eggs let me read up on that.

Ok read up on a few sites.The Swedish lay white eggs with the occastional blue,green,gray tint.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Sinister

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for finding that out.

I guess you could call them grey. My kids are insisting they are dark green, but I dont see it. They look black to me.

I wanted another swedish, and know I know which eggs are hers.

It makes the egg carton more interesting that's for sure.

4. I have a blue Swedish who is about eight months and I've never got an egg from her! I have a Cayuga male too! Lol so I hav no idea what color or bird it is!

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Khaki Campbells lay white or slightly off white eggs, not pink. Do you have chickens along with the ducks?

6. Sinister

Nov 13, 2012
    Nope, no chickens. Here is a picture, the other two are from the khakis. I forgot to take one before washing though....[​IMG]

7. Coyote Night

Coyote Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Missouri
    Are you sure that your black swedish is not a Cayuga with white?

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    ok those are definitely white duck eggs, the dark one however is likely from a Cayuga. Can you post pictures of your ducks?

9. Sinister

Nov 13, 2012
  10. Coyote Night

Coyote Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Missouri
    It could very well be a Swedish some hens will lay an egg with a dark gray coating like this when they start up. Usually will fade from the eggs as they lay more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by