1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black eyed peas for feeding ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by armourereric, Nov 15, 2015.

1. armourereric

armourereric Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    OK, so I have been feeding my ducks a combination of alfalfa and durham wheat seeds for the last 2 years. My feed supply place has changed front office staff to a crew that I cannot stand dealing with and there is no other place nearby. I have a place that is 50 miles more away that will deliver, but only carries black eyed peas. How will this work for a substitute?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @armourereric Welcome to BYC

I haven't been able to find much on it but I did find this https://articles.extension.org/pages/67361/legumes-in-poultry-feed#.VkkoUb_qMf8

I don't think this would be a complete food source though I think I'd have to find other things to make it complete. I do use split peas in my flocks fermented feed.

3. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

They can eat them BUT THEY MUST BE COOKED!

4. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Black eyed peas are actually beans

Beans- ?
    Green beans, Lima Beans, black beans, Pinto beans, etc. They MUST be cooked and soft (preferably overcooked.) Uncooked beans contain a poison called hemaglutin toxic to birds. Beans have a good amount of protein but also have a higher amount of carbs, so beans should be a limited treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by