black + fawn/white = ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Jan 26, 2010.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm separating out my flock this week and since I had one of my black runners poached by a coyote, I'm wondering if I could put one of my f/w females in the breeding pen with the blacks. Would I be able to tell at hatch which ones were from the f/w?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Not sure what your saying....you have a pen with fawn and whites and a pen with blacks?

3. rainplace

I have a pen of blacks without enough females. I want to add a f/w in the mix. If I do this, I want to know if I'll be able to know at hatch which ducklings come from the f/w so I can sell them right away.

4. rainplace

I would hate to have black looking runners that weren't pure and sell them thinking they were. That's what I want to avoid.

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Oh I see....I'm thinking there would be some noticable difference but then again there is someone one here that has a pekin/khaki mix and you would never know it has a pekin parent. White is definetly a recessive gene so I'm not to sure?

6. shiloh04

shiloh04 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    I think the runner pattern is dominant, so not sure how that would affect black. But a f/w runner doesn't have the white gene the same as a pekin or other pure white duck, so that wouldn't be an issue.

7. rainplace

Quote:So would the ducklings be black from the f/w female? Or something else?

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Here's a link to a page that I've found invaluable to understanding Runner duck color genetics: http://www.luckyhit.net/ducks01.htm

Although, I still can't figure out what's going to happen when I cross my white duck to my buff drake (mainly because I don't know what other colors my little white duck, Maizie, carries "underneath" the white). I know that all their daughters will get a buff and a brown dilution though (from their daddy), so the colors of the ducklings should be interesting. I can hardly wait!

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    You would most definitely be able to tell which ones are from the Fawn and White. Black doesn't have blue dilution (even if out of blue). Fawn and White has double blue dilution (homozygous or Bl/Bl). Every single offspring of the Fawn and White would have some degree of blue. If your Fawn and White is the typical US Fawn and White with lots of white (homozygous Runner pattern or R/R), then all the offspring would also have some degree of excess white, usually around the nape of the neck and on the primaries. Overall, you will end up with a lot of mismarked birds and probably some interesting colors, but definitely you will be able to tell who is from the Fawn and White. [​IMG]

10. rainplace

Quote:That link was like reading greek!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by