Black Feathered Feet? What breed do we have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunfrog, May 29, 2012.

1. sunfrog

sunfrog Chirping

May 29, 2012
    Seattle
    We are chicken newbies and just got our first batch of chicks in April. Woohoo! These two we got at a grange here in Seattle and were told were silver laced wyandottes, however, after finally researching this breed a bit more I am fairly certain that's not what we have -- these chicks have black feathery feet!

As chicks they were yellow and black with yellow feet, but the feet turned black by 3-4 weeks and and at almost 8 weeks now they are almost totally black (shiny greenish in the sunlight), grey/black feathered feet, with a bit of yellow left on the beaks. Their tails stick up pretty high compared to our other chickens. They do have white wing tips that are almost hidden most of the time.

I am assuming at this point they are both pullets based on how they look and act (we think we have a few roos of a different breed) but if you can confirm that for me as well, that'd be cool, too!

First week:
    [​IMG]

3-4 weeks (I think?):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And today at almost 8 weeks:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Possibly Langshans...

3. bnmenard15

bnmenard15 In the Brooder

May 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

Looks like our Black Langshan, i know you can't see the feet but they are black feathered. Only thing is is that she was black as a chick, not gray. We have a Blue Langshan that looks like that chick but then again it looks like this
    :[​IMG]

4. yorklady

yorklady Chirping

May 12, 2012
    Love their feathery footsies!

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I agree, Langshans [​IMG] looking like pullets so far!

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hello! I was forwarded to this thread by another person!

They do look to be Langshans! I was confused by the one chick on the right hand side in your first picture. She looks to have a yellow beak. Langshans are not yellow-skinned and will only show a brown/black/pale white color on their beaks. It's possible the feed helped cause that as her beak and feet don't look as yellow.
    Congrats! You're now the proud owner of the BEST breed of chicken out there! ;)

7. sunfrog

sunfrog Chirping

May 29, 2012
    Seattle
    Thank you!!! Langshans it is, then! Great to find out what we have, an unexpected surprise! For weeks I have had this nagging feeling they were not looking like SLW but when I realized the feet thing it seemed pretty clear. The place we got them at totally failed at IDing 3/5 chicks we got from them, whoops! I am a little bummed they may not be as productive layers as I was expecting but it seems like there are lots of positives, too. Glad to hear from a Langshan fan, for sure!

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I never had any luck with Wyandottes. They would kill chicks and even killed a full-grown rooster!

You'll be much happier with your Langshans! If they are from a hatchery, they will be about the same as a hatchery Wyandotte's laying abilities. They'll just look prettier and act more docile! ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. sunfrog

sunfrog Chirping

May 29, 2012
    Seattle
    Yikes! That is great to hear -- we do love these ladies so far, they do seem really docile! But also very independent and curious. It will be fun to see how they grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: