Black Feet and Comb?

nativegirl

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2016
North Carolina
Can anyone take a guess what my barnyard mix, Bellatrix, could be? She has black feet and, although it doesnt show it here(older pic), her comb and wattle is also turning black. I have a list of the possible Roo and Hen parents. But I'd like some feedback on what her prominent genes could be. So, black feet, turning black comb and wattle, and she's single combed.
Possible Parents-
Roos: New Hampshire Red or Silver Laced Wyandotte
Hens: Silver or Gold Laced Wyandottes, RIR, Black Star, Easter Egger, Araucana, Lavender Orpington, Blue Swedish Flower
I'm more curious about the mother Hen possibility than the Roos. As I'm pretty confident the Roo was probably the NH Red for all of them.

It's easier to rule out breeds by observing recessive traits.
No visible beard makes the EE less likely. She's not rumpless so she doesn't have an Araucana parent. Single comb is recessive so it's more likely that her parents both have single combs. The dark skin and the black feathers on her head make me think her mother was the Black Star.

1. Hens have wattles too. And with that feather pattern, Bellatrix is definitely a female.
2. Some breeds have darker skin that looks black but isn't like a Silkie or an Ayamthingamajig. I'll post a picture of my Sebright, Dean, to demonstrate...

Edit:

Last edited:
It's easier to rule out breeds by observing recessive traits.
No visible beard makes the EE less likely. She's not rumpless so she doesn't have an Araucana parent. Single comb is recessive so it's more likely that her parents both have single combs. The dark skin and the black feathers on her head make me think her mother was the Black Star.

Thank you for your informative response. Im still new to backyard chickens, but this website and the people on it are very helpful. Im relieved to hear you say her feather pattern confirms shes a she. For a while I thought she might be a he. What is the difference between feather patterns of roos and hens?

The shiny saddle/shoulder feathers that roosters grow don't have patterns like that. If a chicken has a small, even pattern on its feathers like that all over its body (not including the hackle i.e. head and neck) it's most likely female.

The shiny saddle/shoulder feathers that roosters grow don't have patterns like that. If a chicken has a small, even pattern on its feathers like that all over its body (not including the hackle i.e. head and neck) it's most likely female.

Thanks again. When I picked out Bellatrix and her 3 sisters they were straight run and I was basically just going off of their comb colors at the time. Glad I picked all girls. Bellatrix was the only one I was unsure of.

Back
Top Bottom