Black-fleshed chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Terry Allan Hall, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Terry Allan Hall

Terry Allan Hall Out Of The Brooder

Watched a program about China last night and chickens w/ black meat/bones were discussed, but I didn't catch the name of the breed(s)...anyone know anything?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are silkies. I raise them for pets and some for meat.

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think they were talking about silkies.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Black skin
    Black bones
    Black meat

Those are Silkies all the way.

5. Terry Allan Hall

Terry Allan Hall Out Of The Brooder

THanks a bunch! [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just hatched my first silkies about a month ago and that black skin takes some getting used to!!

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    There are several black skinned breeds, but I think the silkie is the only one commonly available in the US. In Asia there are many different blacked skin breeds that have mostly been developed for meat. In some East Asian cultures the meat from black skinned chickens is thought to have medicinal properties and is eaten when someone is ill or for special occasions. I often see black skinned chicken in Asian supermarkets here in the US and doubt that it is from silkies because the carcass is rather large. There is probably a black skinned meat breed that is used to supply this demand, perhaps a silkie cross. In Korea there is a breed called "ogul" and is a common breed used for meat production and there are several other black skinned breeds listed on the feathersite.

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    [​IMG] dont think i could ever eat a silikie

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Silkies don't taste that bad. I think it depends on the strain of silkie. I know the supermarket silkies out here are tiny compared to my little beasts. They butcher really young for supermarket silkies. It is desirable in Chinese medicine that the silkie be a small young female, but, we all know we can't sacrifice hens!!!

10. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Ayam Cemani is a Fibromelanotic chicken.
    I also have some Black-meated Longtails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by