Black Fleshy Scab *PICTURES*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kculbert, Sep 3, 2014.

1. kculbert

kculbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    My Orpington is under two years old and has been suffering from feather loss, weight loss and laying issues.She hasn't laid an egg since July16. I have other posts on her:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/871508/feather-loss-and-red-skin
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...loss-laying-issues-broken-egg-etc-shes-a-mess
    She is doing better but the scab she had on her keel has turned into a fleshy black growth. It does not seem to be internal and quite frankly, looks like a piece of dog poo stuck on her stomach (it's not). I soaked her but it didn't come off. Should I try to remove it? Is this a tumor? Should I be concerned?

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I had one like that and it was a tumor. Have you checked every square inch for other bumps?

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    With mine it was a Marek's tumor and necropsy found numerous internal tumors which were likely the reason mine lost weigh. Was your hen vaccinated for Marek's?

-kathy

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Maybe a tumor maybe a cyst ?
    If you pick at it a little what happens? Is a vet an option? I sure can't find anything on line that looks quite like it. Good luck

5. kculbert

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Oh my God! I hope it's not Merek's! She wasn't vaccinated as far as I know. I bought her from a breeder so I will check. It started as a flat scab on a bald keel. The vet looked at it back in July and didn't even comment. It just looked like she had rubbed a raw spot on her keel because of feather loss. It doesn't feel like there is anything underneath the skin. It's just stuck on her skin.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It might just be a pressure sore from her being thin, which could be from many things... Have you wormed her wih Safeguard or Valbazen?

-Kathy

7. kculbert

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Yes, she has been wormed with Valbazen, treated with Frontline and had a round of antibiotics back in July when she saw the vet. She is actually doing much better. She has put on weight, growing feathers and starting to act like her old self. She has not laid since July 16th when she had an egg rubber egg break on the way out. I looked at belly about two weeks ago when I sprayed it with Vetericyn and the scab was still just flat and dime-sized. I flipped her over today to do a body check and found the growth.

8. kculbert

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    This is gross, but I was all excited about picking on I until I realized it might not be just a scab. I was hoping that someone was going to see this and tell me that it's no big deal and to go ahead and scrape it off but it sounds like she's going to need another expensive vet trip.

9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Lol
    I get it picking can be "fun"
    Good luck with the vet.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to invest in a kitchen scale and start weighing her every few days. Also check with you vet regarding the Valbazen dose. What I have been told by a vet is that the most effective one day dose is 20mg per 2.2 pounds, which is ~0.2ml per 2.2 pounds. :D

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by