black friday.... is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know black friday is the friday after thanksgiving (nov 27th this year?)

Is it really worth it?

My friend and I were planning on booking the Thursday and Friday off work and head south for a little shopping...

BUT:

I have heard some really nasty things like people getting trampled to death for a $5 television at Wal~Mart...

is it all media hype or is it really that bad that you have to dress like a line backer, or wear a Kevlar vest?

and are the deals really worth it?

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    There is nothing I want to buy badly enough to go out on Black Friday.

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:wow its that bad?

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i suppose it depends on what your after.. if there is a great sale on a popular item then expect to be trampled.. if your looking for something off the wall you should be safe lol

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont buy Christmas gifts anyway, but I would avoid that day at all costs. Let others get trampled, not me.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..its a pretty crazy day to shop..
    good deals though.. [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I second Hikerchick's comment. I think people who do the black Friday thing are in it more for the excitement, adrenalin rush, whatever, than for the bargains. Personally, I prefer less stress and shopping at my own pace rather than a race.

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I went once. Never again. Everything that I wanted to get was gone except one thing. And the other stuff I got later and was that same price.

So-if you ask me......NO. Not worth it.

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    this may sound silly but we cant get the same stuff up here that you goys have in the states...

I was in Wal~Mart with my DD last weekend and she seen an R/C car she wanted, I said when we get home i will get it..

looked here at home... nothing even remotely like it

Its really hard to get shoes for my Dh here.. (size 15 [​IMG] ) i can find them all over the place in Buffalo

10. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I enjoy it! My sister and I were supposed to go together, but she slept in so I shopped with her via the telephone. I live in small town so my Wal*Mart is not bad at all. I love the navigation system that I picked up for my family and hers too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by