Black Frizzle, Black, Mottled Cochins...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Nov 16, 2008.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    So I want to start breeding black frizzle cochin bantams, and I know you need to breed a frizzle with a regular in order to have healthy birds. So the question is: what would you get with a black frizzle x mottled? Could you get a mottled frizzle? Does anybody keep/sell those? Or would the frizzles still be black only? Is there a better direction male vs female frizzle to get better fertility?

Also does anyone sell day old cochins worth buying? Otherwise hatching eggs?

2. Hi!
    The way I would do it is put a black Frizzle Cochin hen with a smooth mottled Cochin roo (because I have both).
    The first generation of chicks should be all blacks with the males having leaky gold in the hackle / saddle. Some might show a smidge of mottling.
    Half will be frizzled and half smooth.
    I'd take the frizzled girls from the first generation cross and put them back with the mottled roo. These second generation chicks should be mottled.
    It might take another generation of crossing the best mottled frizzled girls back to the mottled smooth roo to get good mottling again.
    Good luck!
    If I had an open pen right now, I'd try it.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Thanks! I'll probably just start with black, but i might try that in a bit...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by