Black Frizzle Cochins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Harmon_7, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Harmon_7

Harmon_7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    I am getting some Black Frizzle Cochins in the spring. Are they a good pet breed? Should I let them roam? Or should I just build a run? I need all the info on them you can give me... thanks.

P.S.- Can they go in with bigger chickens or no?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
    cjperrault1 likes this.
  2. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    Well, I don't know much about Frizzles, but I've got eight of them in the brooder. I got them from Privett Hatchery as a "Frizzle assortment".

By their new feathers, I can see that I have four frizzled and four flat-feathered.

They say 25% are flat-feathered, but they're cool either way.

Matt

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Now this sounds like a chicken I would like to have...where do I get some???

4. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    We have one! Traded some barred rocks and got him, two white cochins, and a red cochin. We joked about him being the ugly one, But I really think he's cute, moreso now then when we first got him (at 4 weeks), not sure if it's a he or she, but I suspect he. I would say based on ours they are really nice pets. Fairly calm and not at all flighty! Ours is in a pen at my mom's, but if I brought him home with me he'd get to free range in my fenced yard. I would think properly introduced they'd be fine with bigger chickens, my EE hen treated them like her babies when they were little. He's been in with her and a meat breed chicken, and they all got along great.

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    We have a pair also. The main thing is NOT to breed frizzle to frizzle though! I have a black frizzle rooster I can pair with a blue hen, so that the chicks will be 1/2 black, and 1/2 blue; with a good chance of frizzles.

6. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Here is a pic of my black frizzled cochin bantam rooster.

[​IMG]

He moves around very slowly (waddles) and is not a great flyer. He's a lover, not a fighter. I imagine he would be easy pickings for a predator. My little guy stays in the chicken pen 24/7.

7. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    Okay, here are my chicks. They are 12 days old...

First pic is of the White Frizzle.
    [​IMG]

Second pic is of a Black Flat-feathered next to the Black Frizzle.
    [​IMG]

Third is the Red Frizzle with a White Flat-feather.
    [​IMG]

I got them from Privett Hatchery and I have no idea how they breed them, but they are very healthy and hopefully I beat the odds on Hens vs. Roos...
    Matt

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    First I would like to say FRIZZLES are not real chickens!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That said there are 3 of them that are at my house, definaltely not mine they belong to DD. They are extremely friendly, mine(I mean those that live here) will come up to you when you go out in the yard. Mine free range with the REAL chickens and have had no problems. they wobble when they run, and look like a chicken that has been pulled through a rat hole backwards.

1 person likes this.
  9. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    There is a Chicken breeder here who specilizes in frizzles, she frizzles all kinds of "real chickens".. HAHA

10. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by