Black funk encrusted on comb

Holliewoodslife

Hatching
Nov 21, 2019
Málaga, Spain
Hi everyone
It's the first time posting for me, but I have followed this blog for a while due to the fantastic advice! My Silkie roo cross has this weird black gunk encrusted on his comb. He shares a coop with his sister (they hatched together 4 months ago) and during the day he free ranges. It's not a pecking related injury, so I am worried it could be fowlpox. I live in the south of spain so it never gets really cold here and it barely rains that often. Do I need to take him to a vet? And what could this be? Pic attached. Thanks so much in advance!
1574333890737..jpg

Attachments

• 1574333912217..jpg
    1574333912217..jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 2
It doesn't look like fowl pox, looks like pecking injury to me. The front part has scabs, some of the other may be dried blood. I'd take some warm soapy water with a qtip and see if you can clean some of it off. A bit of plain neosporin if necessary, but usually I leave them alone unless it's really bad. Some roo's get pecked by hens and put up with it.

May be an optical illusion, but are these 'holes'?
upload_2019-11-21_8-14-38.png

A lot of it just looks like dirt stuck in there,
that type of comb looks like it could 'gather' all kinds of detritus.
Agrees a good wash might tell the tale.

Could be some dry pox there tho.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Holliewoodslife
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-21_8-15-24.png

Some of my girls have scabs like this from mating. My rooster Sid has scabs like this because his brother is training him to be a gentleman and when he's not, Squatch knocks some sense into him.

May be an optical illusion, but are these 'holes'?
View attachment 1963802
A lot of it just looks like dirt stuck in there,
that type of comb looks like it could 'gather' all kinds of detritus.
Agrees a good wash might tell the tale.

Could be some dry pox there tho.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Holliewoodslife
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1963803
Thanks so much for your advice I will try bathing the comb with warm water and q tip!

It doesn't look like fowl pox, looks like pecking injury to me. The front part has scabs, some of the other may be dried blood. I'd take some warm soapy water with a qtip and see if you can clean some of it off. A bit of plain neosporin if necessary, but usually I leave them alone unless it's really bad. Some roo's get pecked by hens and put up with it.
Thankyou!!

Back
Top Bottom