1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Black Giant Bantam?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dusterbd, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    I have five black giants and they are all the same age but my gears are turning as to why three of them have stayed so small. Two of them are three times the size of the other 3 and I just wondered is there some type of bantam that is black giant cause I have never heard of it. Anyone have any ideas to what it could be as to why my 3 black giants are so small?

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    There is a huge difference in size between show bred JG and hatchery bred JGs. are they from the same place ?

3. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    All of them came from the same place and Were born within one day of each other. The difference in there size is huge maybe since I figured out how to get pictures on here I can in some point today get some really good pictures to post so maybe yall can tell me what I am dealing with because I don't have a clue why some are so much larger then the others.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Are the smaller ones less feathered in? Or were they? It may be what they call "failure to thrive". I'm babysitting a bantam cochin right now that is almost 2 months old. It's in with week old chicks and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

5. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    They have all been feathered really good not a difference in color or feathering at all just the sizes are different. I have two rir bantams and they aren't much bigger then they are in size. its really wierd.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get them from?

What color are the bottom of there feet (all of them not just the little ones)?

Chris

7. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    I got them from a lady off craigs list she is really big into raising pure breeds and gets all her chickens from cackle hatchery. We bought five black giants from her and 15 buff orpingtons and the orpingtons are doing great the black giants are the only ones with size differences in them. All there feet on the bottoms are a light grey color with black spots. I have some pictures I just went and took I will load them as soon as I can. Maybe it will help...

8. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    This one is the largest one of them all
    [​IMG]
    this is the smaller one
    [​IMG]
    this one is the smallest of the five
    [​IMG]
    this is the largest.

These aren't the best pictures in the world but it was really hard catching them and trying to keep them still long enough to get a picture lol. I hope these help though maybe someone can help me out with what might be wrong or if they may be a different breed.

9. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Ah! I cant believe Kathyinmo hasnt chimed in on this one yet! She started a really good Jersey Black Giant thread- you should check it out! Lots of pics and breed type discussions.

I would tell you a few things (im not an expert, but I do have JBG's) The bottoms of their feet should be yellow or yellowish- if they are black, grey or tan, they are Australorps or some other mixed breed. Hatcheries sell very bad versions of JBG's. The hatchery versions sometimes have greyish foot bottoms, but that means they are either mixed with Australorp, or very bad quality. That is my understanding, and if another member knows better, please correct me!! JBG's can be very slow to grow at first, some will grow faster than others, your first pic looks over 10 weeks old, the last pics the birds look about 8 weeks or so. All my JBG's are not from breeders, some are hatchery, and you can tell the difference. I love all my flock, but once I am ready to go all Jerseys, ALL my hatchery stock is going because who knows what they really are when they dont have the breed characteristics they should have.

I was sold a hen that they claimed was JBG, but more research proved her to be Australorp. Its sometimes super hard to tell the difference. For now I really dont care, I like them all and they are laying well, so they all get to stay, but I sure wont tell people they are JBG's, when I think they are Australorps, when it comes time to sell.

Does that first bird have leg feathering? If it does, I would look up Langshans, they are kinda similar to JBG's, but have leg feathers where JBG's never do.

10. dusterbd

dusterbd Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    [​IMG] thank you I kinda figured with the way they are growing they weren't pure bred. I still love them none the less. I am new to the whole chicken thing but have fallen in love with many of the breeds. The one in the first picture doesn't have feathers on its legs it just pulled its leg up high when I picked it up. I was by myself trying to get good pictures and that was really hard. lol. I am sure if anyone could have seen me trying it would have been rolling

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: