Black Giant x White Leghorn - White with leakage?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Oct 13, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    As expected, all of my chicks from my Black Giant Rooster and White Leghorn hens are White with leakage.

However, I have some chicks with black spots, some chicks with some grayish spots and some chicks with BARRED spots.

Is that normal? What does that tell me? Where is the barring coming from? Black Giant Rooster or White Leghorn hens?

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    From Leghorns.

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

From Leghorns.

Absolutely normal. Most white leghorns I have had carried barring & silver under the dominant white. But sometimes they carry blue (grey flecks?), recessive white, or mottling & probably various combinations thereof, as well as the extended black.​

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes, they often have those other genes to basically help keep the white a clean white.

5. Krys109uk

Yes, they often have those other genes to basically help keep the white a clean white.

And to clear pigment from the legs.

Oh & I nearly forgot....the birds with the barred leakage will definitely all be males. If all of your white leghorns females were barring under the dominant white the solid colour leakage would be females (but you can't be sure they're all carrying barring).​

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Krys, the chicks with the obvious barring are definitely males. Interesting! The chicks with the very obvious BLACK leakage are definitely females. I haven't looked close enough at the "iffy" ones to see whether the spots are barred, black or gray. The boys are pretty obvious at this point. Those single combs are getting nice and red!

I do have pigment on the legs of some of these "white" chicks. I guess that would be leakage there too?

7. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Barred gene is Sex linked.It gos from father to dother and from mother to son.JG do not have this gene and his dothers are not barred,White Leghorn can carry barred gene and there sons will be barred,only dominant white is hiding it

8. Krys109uk

ve wrote: Barred gene is Sex linked.It gos from father to dother and from mother to son.

It's not quite like that. If the father had been homozygous for the dominant sex linked gene he would give one gene to each of his offspring both sons & daughers. Had the male been homozygous barred all of his offspring would be barred (with one gene)

It is the fact that the dominant sex linked gene is in the female that makes it that the daughter can only inherot the dominant gene from the father whereas the son inherits one of each gene.

Nellabean wrote:I do have pigment on the legs of some of these "white" chicks. I guess that would be leakage there too?

This is probably not leakage but is very likely also sex linked. From another sex linked gene called "inhibitor of dermal melanin" knoiwn as Id.
    The white leghorn female carried Id the black australorp male does not (he has the recessive wild type id+) thus male offspring inherit a dominant Id gene from thier mothers & a recessive id+ gene from their fathers making them Id/id+ light legged. But the females only inherit a Z sex chromsome from their father, thus they only inherit the recessive id+ from their father making them id+/- giving them dark legs.[​IMG]

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Yeah, I just got a clear(heh) example of this from breeding a clean yellow legged white turken rooster. Hoped he would be eb base black.. wanted to produce yellow legged black naked necks, but he proved to be homozygous barred and so his yellow legs probably was simply due to that fact. Oh well.

10. Krys109uk

Kev wrote:Yeah, I just got a clear(heh) example of this from breeding a clean yellow legged white turken rooster. Hoped he would be eb base black.. wanted to produce yellow legged black naked necks, but he proved to be homozygous barred and so his yellow legs probably was simply due to that fact. Oh well.

LOL... I wrote that & then forgot.....[​IMG].... of course, that's more likely to be the reason for the dark & light legs......still sex linked though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by