Black Giants?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 5Chickens, Jan 29, 2008.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    How big do Black Giant Hens get?Thank you for the answers![​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine are 9 months old and the 2nd largest in my laying flock. At least 8 lbs now.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Per the APA Standard Giant hens should weigh within 20% +/- of 10 lbs.

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Mine are 8 months old and stand about 20 inches tall at the head.
    As Southern28chick put it,

Mine are twice the size of her almost 2 yr old Dominique rooster.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have 10 pullets and 2 cockrels. They're very handsome. I enjoy looking at them. They're around 6 months now, I'm very curious to see how large they become.

6. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    a bit bigger than an average chicken. But their eggs are just as big as a Barred Rock. I just got my first 3 out of 5 Blact Giants this month. A hen I left in the house with my hunni and I left, ate out, came home and she killed two of mine and a bantam which I had 4, one bantam I accidently killed by putting in the waterer and it was under it and squashed.

I'll keep in touch. 3 Black Giants is enough for me, better than none, according to me.

I asked a question on a different thread, it may not be answered. so I ask in simpler terms here: Are Black Giant babies supposed to have white trim on their lower part of wings?

[​IMG]

I got 8-10 barreds in there and 3-5 Black Giants. I took this pic before the hen harmed a few of my babies cuz we left her inside with the door closed. Barreds all have that dot on their head. The ones that don't did equal to 5 at one point. 3 had the white on their wings, 2 didn't. one died sadly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. joshuahickman

joshuahickman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    My Coop
    Well We Have A Few They Are Still Laying And They Are Two Years Of Age.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by