Black growth on chicken comb

shintal

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
I have 6 chickens that are 16 weeks old now. One of the buff orpington chickens has developed this crusty black grown on its comb and is otherwise healthy appearing. They have a large run and do no fight much. The other chickens do not have this problem. It almost looks like a tumor. What do you think it is? Should I be concerned?

I'd stay on the look out.You never know they could be tusseling.Or try killing her.Looks like dry blood,but it may be some kind of fungi.

Was it just sudden or a gradual amount of black? Peck marks or possibly fowl pox, which just has to run its course. Are you able to scrape some off to see if it's just blood?

I have two buffs, two australorps and two americauna. The smaller of the two buff orpingtons looks fine. I guess it could be fighting but it is not just dried blood.

It may also be fowl pox, which just has to run its course. You can help boost their immune system by adding raw apple cider vinegar to the water (1-2 tablespoons/gallon) and crushed garlic to their food.

Back
Top Bottom