1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black growth on chicken comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shintal, Oct 10, 2014.

1. shintal

shintal New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    I have 6 chickens that are 16 weeks old now. One of the buff orpington chickens has developed this crusty black grown on its comb and is otherwise healthy appearing. They have a large run and do no fight much. The other chickens do not have this problem. It almost looks like a tumor. What do you think it is? Should I be concerned?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I'd stay on the look out.You never know they could be tusseling.Or try killing her.Looks like dry blood,but it may be some kind of fungi.

3. dangercarrie

dangercarrie Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Was it just sudden or a gradual amount of black? Peck marks or possibly fowl pox, which just has to run its course. Are you able to scrape some off to see if it's just blood?

4. shintal

shintal New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    I have two buffs, two australorps and two americauna. The smaller of the two buff orpingtons looks fine. I guess it could be fighting but it is not just dried blood.

5. shintal

shintal New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    The black spots seem to be gradually getting bigger.

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    it may be peeling skin,but make sure.I'd hate for soemthing bad to happen.

7. dangercarrie

dangercarrie Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    It may also be fowl pox, which just has to run its course. You can help boost their immune system by adding raw apple cider vinegar to the water (1-2 tablespoons/gallon) and crushed garlic to their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by