Black growth on duck's foot?

pothospathos

Hatching
Oct 27, 2020
I just became aware that my duck has bumblefoot on his left foot that has progressed farther than I'm embarrassed to admit, but it's being treated properly (I bring it up in case it's related to my question). While making this discovery, I took a look at his right foot as well and it had a strange growth on it. It wasn't dirt or anything, as it was attached to the skin. Yesterday my mother sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and it sizzled, but today it didn't.
The first picture is of his foot yesterday (the 25th); the second today (the 26th).

122431663_704617587160223_4865773895342328268_n.jpg 122686393_1250929061932550_9014239342159404634_n.jpg

We've been keeping him inside on soft, dry towels, keeping his feet wrapped and keeping him off them, and soaking his feet for thirty minutes everyday ever since we saw what was truly wrong.

The bumblefoot is no problem as I know how to fix it, but I'm at a complete loss with this growth. I've googled without any luck. I haven't tried cutting it open or off or anything simply because I don't know what it is. It does feel soft, though.

Any help would be appreciated, but please be kind. Thank you so much to anyone who responds.

I haven't seen anything like that before, and I do agree with you that it doesn't resemble Bumblefoot very much. What you've been doing so far has been great. If I were dealing with this, I would continue soaking the scab until it becomes fairly soft, then try to take off as much as possible with a scalpel and pair of tweezers. Once most of it's off, which may take a few days, apply an antibacterial ointment to the area, wrap the foot with gauze, then bandage with vet wrap. Depending on how it looks afterward, an antibiotic may be helpful.

Here is some reading on bandaging,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-feet-bandages.1424682/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/

Back
Top Bottom