1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Growth?? on Rooster's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xitaa, Sep 23, 2007.

1. xitaa

xitaa Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    I have a beautiful 5 month old banty rooster. Two weeks ago, I noticed that he had what looked like a scab on both sides of his comb. I thought he had been fighting with his brothers. Now, the "black scab" has grown and the comb around it has gone pale. I have just examined him and the other chickens as they have gone to roost and his comb feels feverish. Also he does not act like he feels well. Help, what should I do??[​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    do you have a pic? Is he getting more of the spots? >>> if so it may be the pox and you will need to coat those with iodine...look inside the mouth and see if all looks well... here is an article about it:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm

3. xitaa

xitaa Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Thank you,I have been putting iodine on his comb and I have put him in a coop by himself and he does seem to feel better and the black area is getting smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by