Black Head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryPotts, Apr 3, 2009.

1. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    I have chickens and turkeys and I want to know how far to keep my turkeys away from my chickens. I have had a diease free flock so far. I did have a barred rock die from a unkown reason. That was year ago but it was from the same flock.[​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have chickens and turk together with no problems because I deworm regularly. If you don't want to do this, as long as they don't come in contact with each others feces, they should be fine. It is spread thru their poop containing cecal worms.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    Thanks now I know my turks will be fine.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Cecal worms are carried by earthworms. If you have chickens that have cecal worms, earthworms can also carry it to the area of the turkeys. This is why I deworm regularly. One way to watch for blackhead is to watch your turks poop. Look at it daily. It will turn sulfur colored of he has cecal worms. The minute you see this, pour lots and lots of cayenne pepper in their feed and water. Like a whole little jar of it over the course of 3 days. I've heard this works. You can also do it as a preventative. They seem to like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by