Black hen? no Id got at feed store.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by trinitymare, Jun 11, 2009.

1. trinitymare

trinitymare Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    I have no clue what this one is, got it with the banty's and it was the same size chick but now it's twice the size.

It is a mutt EE too:rolleyes:

I think it's a hen. it was jet black as a chick with white wing points and white toe tips and throt it looked like silk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The black bird with gold on her neck is a Black Sex-Link. Fantastic layers of Large to Jumbo Brown Eggs.

Matt

3. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looks like my Black sexlinks

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    yeah the red chest feathers give it away, sex link!

oh, and that means it IS a hen, becaue a male sex link looks like a barred rock [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  5. Pine Acres Peeps

Pine Acres Peeps Songster

May 24, 2009
    Citronelle, Alabama
    Definently looks like my black sexlinks. They are sometimes called Black Stars. They lay really great, large eggs. And they are very affectionate, my girls want to be held all the time. You will love her!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. Andora

Andora Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have four of those too, that I got at a feed store. I got four thinking at least 2 or 3 would be roos, hahaha. Oops.

Definitely a black sex link that you have! One of mine is nearly all black with a very tiny amount of red on the chest, and some of the others have a lot of red.

7. trinitymare

trinitymare Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    This chick was the most wild and crazy thing and it was raised in the house, it's still wild.

At least it's a hen as it's huge! so I guess it's not a banty? it was sold to me as a banty, well to hubby....

Thanks again, we needed a black hen so all is good! I'm sure i'll love her and her eggs;)

8. Andora

Andora Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Some of my sex links are crazy too, and others are friendly. I don't know why...I think their temper can really vary. I've noticed most of my hens become a lot friendlier after they start laying, and the roosters do the opposite! They become less friendly after they fully mature.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    BSL

10. trinitymare

trinitymare Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Quote:My Rooster was diving me nuts! attacking me and hubby biting just nasty after he became "the man" he almost drown my female duck in her bath tub by trying to mate on her and I throw him out of the pen, if he attacked me I picked him up and made him do chores then would lay him down on his side, he is super frinedly now and never attacks it's odd.

I'm clicker training him to do tricks and he is always following the dogs around begging for hand outs but for far it's been months and he has been golden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: