black hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NGILBERT88, Dec 10, 2010.

1. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Just got 6 new hens. 2 of them are black like this one. What kind could this be. Should they lay good? The first 6 I got from him are all laying. I get 5-6 eggs a day now. The second pic are my first 6 hens and 2 roosters. I got them about 4 wks ago.
    This second 6 are 2-blacks, 1-black and gold, and 3 of the blonde/reddish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Bunch of mutts. [​IMG]

In the bottom photo it looks like you've got a couple Easter Eggers (that or just Buff Orp x Production Reds with their tails removed) a couple possible Sex Links (good layers) and a barred mutt cockerel. (The white and black barred one hiding in the group)

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The blacks are not Australorps, I don't think. Unless I'm seeing things, I can see some streaks of color on the chest- red or gold. If that is so, then they are BSLs. Australorps are completely black. Better pictures, a side view in natural light, would be best to make sure. Also, the bird in the pic might have a frostbitten comb.

The oranges are mutts. Probably a RIRxBuff Orp mix. True orps aren't orange.
    The dark reds are RIR.
    The Orange/black bird is a mix. Of what, I can't tell - better, closer pics would be needed. Perhaps an orp mix?

On a side note, somebody in your flock is a featherpicker. Notice how most of your chooks' tailfeathers are gone? You need to figure out who is doing that, and sell it, trim it's beak - or give them more room or enrichment. You don't want that to turn to cannibalism!

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    mutts

5. That looks like a healthy bunch of mixed breed chickens. I would keep em!

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Although I can't really help with your group shot, the first pic looks like a BSL. Frostbite was mentioned, but I noticed that my girls' combs had quite a bit of black in them until the turned bright red, seemingly overnight. Take a good look at her to be sure. Suggestions by Illia and ChickenWisperer on the others sound good. [​IMG] Good lookin' group!

7. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Yes, I think they are all mutts. I did see what I thought was RIR and plymoth rocks in his flock. He said they were all hatched in march. He had like 60-80 left. They were not being cared for the best. They didn't have a closed in coop or a heat source. Just a open run. The guy has been down in health and trying to get rid of them. It did get down to about 20 degrees the last week. I am in mobile al so it rarely gets that cold for to long. Rarely under freezing. The two black ones do have a greenish tint in the sun. Some of the other black ones did have a hint of orange around there throat. I did check for eggs today and only got one at noon where I normally have 3 or 4 (from my original 6 hens). Do you think the lifestyle change effected this. Will they get back to normal egg laying soon once they all get used to each other.

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Sorry for not checking back on this thread earlier, NGILBERT88.

Yes, the stress of the move and the addition to new chickens to your flock can cause a decrease in egg production for a short time. Once everything smooths over, they should go back to laying as usual. Have fun with your new gals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by