1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black in Buff silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playswithfowl, May 9, 2009.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I had a 4-h show today, and took my Buff Silkie. It seems like I heard that buff silkies used to be breed to have some black in their tail, and wings but now breeders are switching to pure buff and no black? Is this true? The judge wasn't impressed by the black..

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/StandardColors.html

There
    is an explanation of the Standard of Perfection for Silkies on this site. Buff Silkies Standards call for even buff color throughout. I don't think that has changed recently. I have only been raising them for 4 years and I do not show all that often but Buff Silkies that have any other color in tail or anywhere else do not actually meet the Standard.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, buff silkies, from my knowledge, should always be clear buff throughout for show. You can use some with black in the tail/wings for breeding (if they have other valuable assets of the breed) but they don't do well at shows due to the plumage color issue.

4. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Okay, thanks everyone [​IMG]

5. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    I just got 10 buff silkie chicks on Tuesday and it appears that some of them have black in there feathers and some dont...., it is weird [​IMG]

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    On most young birds, the black will gradually molt out. On older birds, they will generally keep what black they have.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standard lists two buff varieties: buff and buff columbian. Buff columbians do (should) have black in their hackles and tails; this is the recognised variety of buff brahmas. Silkies, however, are the plain buff like an orpington--ideally no other colour in the plumage but buff. To the best of my knowledge this has always been the requirement for silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by