1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Jack 57 vs Leak Stopper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noirsphynx, Nov 6, 2015.

1. noirsphynx

noirsphynx New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Bon Accord, Alberta
    I have a question about a coating for the coop floor and I'm hoping someone can help a me. I see that some people use the roof coating called Black Jack 57, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Leak Stopper roof patch would be just as safe? I bought a pail of the Leak Stopper because I couldn't get the Black Jack 57 in a smaller pail but I could in the Leak Stopper. I just applied it and it does have a strong odour to it. In the summer do these types of coatings become a problem with the heat and releasing odour? I applied it to my coop floor and now I'm wondering if I just ruined my coop and I'm going to have to replace it completely with a new floor? Thank you to anyone who can give me some insight.

EDIT : Never mind Leak Stopper is nothing like Black Jack 57 and I'll be scrapping it up and putting Black Jack 57 on top of it =\. Lesson learned, ask on here first if I'm unsure. I'm such a noob =(

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. noirsphynx

noirsphynx New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Bon Accord, Alberta
    I should ask first too about the Black Jack 57. After I scrape the other crap up there will be some left behind stuck in the plywood, will the Black Jack 57 do a good job of sealing it all up so that the odour from the Leak Stopper stays sealed under the Black Jack 57? I think it will work okay and I'm trying desperately to not have to rip apart a coop I've spent forever working on.

3. Chipper Chicken

Chipper Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It should pretty much encapsulate it. As long as. You get it all covered with the blackjack . I'd coat it twice just to be safe. Did you see this thread?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/664297/coop-floor-suggestions/30

Just make sure it's mixed really good b4 you use it. Good luck, sorry you had a little misstep , it'll be fine. :thumbsup

4. noirsphynx

noirsphynx New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Bon Accord, Alberta
    Thank you so much for the response and the link, you've been very helpful!!! I just spent two hours scraping and scrubbing with cisol to get off as much as I possibly could. Now to let it dry & air out for a few days and then I'll put down the Black Jack 57. Whew, what a hard learning curve, lol. Thank goodness I don't have any chickens yet.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by