Black Java - wanted in CA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Rosewynd, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Does anyone in SoCal have black Javas? I don't have an incubator, so would prefer day old chicks, or older.

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you ever find your Black Javas you were looking for? I found this ad on craigslist and thought of you. It listed Black Javas and relatively speaking, Perris isn't super far from Anza so I thought I would post it here.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/1109698974.html

3. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    I got them! 6 hens and 2 roos.... a nice starter flock! They are feathered out and look very healthy.

Woo-Hoo - Doing the happy dance!

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeahhhh! I am glad you were able to get them, rather than just anyone. Some folks might have only wanted laying hens and not take the roos. That would have been a shame. I hope you get lots of Black Java chicks and eggs!

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:I'd love to buy some fertile eggs from you if /when you start selling them!?

Congrats on your new flock!

nancy

6. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Nancy - I would love to have eggs go to people who'd like to start their own flock.

My babies are 6 weeks old, so it'll be a few months yet before they start laying.... and then I'll have to figure out how to ship eggs. [​IMG]

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Woohoo! Black Javas are a wonderful heritage breed. I'd love to have a few myself. In fact, I want a flock of every chicken! Now only to get DH to agree with me.

8. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Chicky Tocks - they are the most beautiful chickens in the world! Your husband won't be able to resist them, LOL!

9. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Do you know where they originated from? I have black and mottled javas.

10. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    They are an American breed, originating between 1835 and 1850.

They're a dual purpose homesteading breed. They are supposed to do very well when allowed to free range (which they will NOT be doing here, because there are too many hawks).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by