Black jersey giant chicks pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elieugene6, Aug 24, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok, I have a definite roo phobia now. Got way to many this year and to think I started out hoping for just one. lol. I really want them to be pullets but think due to there behavior which I know people say that pullets will do too but personally never witnessed. They have been jumping at each other. They hatched on July 8 so about 7 weeks old. Just two of them and both have the same look in the combs. Slight amount of pink but the pics make it look redder for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Any guesses? Or are my pics not good enough?

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The combs look like pullets. They are pretty feathered in as well. Watch for pointy saddle feathers- that will be a dead give-away of a roo.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say both are girls.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

girls do the smae things boys do, but are not fertail with females... (chest bump, fluffing up, pecking heads, mounting)

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You got yourself a couple of girls there. [​IMG]

They's just tomboys at this stage; all chickens, boys and girls alike, will chest bump, flare neck feathers, peck and chase each other to establish the pecking order. Some may even mount others, just to push the "I'm BOSS of YOU" experience a tad further.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. elieugene6

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Oh, I really hope you guys are right. I really don't want to have to eat them in 2 years. That would be horrible, and I know thats how long they take to completely fill out. I really would like to have some jersey giant girls so I am praying. I just got so many roos this year that I am constantly worrying. lol. Thanks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by