Black Jersey Giant is broody...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, May 13, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    One of my Black Jersey Giant hens is determined to set, I think. She is always in the nest.[​IMG]

I only have two of them and it is a breed that I am not too familiar with.

Does anyone know if she is likely to make a trustworthy Mom?

I have a new incubator coming (hopefully today) and I have two small bunches of eggs that are coming and I was thinking of putting one in the incubator and one under my hen.

Catherine

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Give her some eggs! Eggs hatched under a hen are *usually* better off than ones in an incubator. She can control the temp and humidity better than a machine can.

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    You are so lucky! I would love to have a Broody hen. I also would love to have some Jersey Giants. Can't find any locally here. Good Luck hope all goes well. I have heard that they do make good moms.Thats just what I have heard.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I would hold on to the eggs until you have a small clutch worth- then let her have them. My Black Australorp (looks just like Jersey Giant) started setting and later dropped a few more in there- I had to buy an incubator because they are hatching so far apart. I'm so jealous- no more broodies in our flock![​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I have heard that the best way to get a hen to go broody is to buy an incubator! [​IMG]

I have read that JGs make good moms when they go broody! [​IMG] I am hoping to learn from experience, but my JGs are only 7 wks old, so I have got a little while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by