1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black jersey giant mixed with white leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pittmanbirds, Jan 15, 2017.

1. pittmanbirds

pittmanbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Hello i have a question what would be the outcome of a black jersey giant rooster breed with a white leghorn hen

Also what would come with a brown leghorn rooster breed with a black jersey giant hen

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixing those extremes, you're going to end up with a pretty mediocre bird, I'd think.

color wise, the dominant white Leghorn hen is going to give you basically white chicks. They'll have flecks of black, similar to say an Austra white. Size should be mid, and I'm thinking the lower production of the Giant is going to pull down the production of the offspring quite a bit.

Color wise from the brown Leghorn, you'll get mostly black chicks with red/brown leakage. Otherwise as above.

Were I you, I'd breed the Leghorns together and the Giants together, not intermixing. Those breeds are just so far apart, I'm thinking they won't complement each other at all, they'll just cause you to lose the good traits of each breed.

3. pittmanbirds

pittmanbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    So I guess or won't make a jumbo chicken that has good egg production........[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think so, no.

but you can always try and let us know how things turn out.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by