Black Jersey Giant or Black Australorp - What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jt673, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Considered getting a pair from these folks and wanted to make sure these are actually Black Australorps before doing so or I will keep looking for some. They seem on the slim side for BA's, but I am not an expert and value the opinions of others on here!

Are these BA's?

Are these Jersey Giants?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Look like Black Australorps to me. Jersey Giants are slightly rare - BA's are VERY common. Also, BA's are naturally a lot more slim than Giants. JG's are VERY big birds. [​IMG]

3. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:THanks, I was thinking BA's have heavier plumage and I have not seen these in person yet, only pictures. This looks like a good flock then?

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    The rooster at least looks very much like a Jersey Giant to me. They aren't THAT rare. Australorp roosters tend to be much more wide and stout, although smaller. Also, they seem to have a very slight dusty greyish-blue color to them: a characteristic of Jersey Giants. The hens to, seem to be a bit 'long' for Australorps, and have a different kind of face.

It's hard to tell.....if there was I size comparison, it would be easier, but I would say probably at least the rooster is a Jersey Giant. Could be Australorps though. Good flock! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have both; the JGs have yellow on the bottom of their feet.

6. Yazzo

Jul 23, 2010
    Quote:That's not a very accurate indicator, since some Australorp too have yellow on their feet.

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Jersey Giants have yellow on the bottom of their feet, Black Australorps have a pinkish hue on the bottom of their feet. Not all Jersey Giants are HUGE...especially those that come from hatcheries. My Australorp hens are thicker than my JG hens, which seem to be leaner and just a tad taller (they are the same age). Look for the feet first!

8. Yazzo

Jul 23, 2010
    Quote:Not ALL Australorps have pink-ish soles. The official breed standard says that they are supposed to have white under their feet. It can vary, so again, the feet are NOT an accurate indicator. And yes, they are NOT always huge.

9. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Not ALL Australorps have pink-ish soles. The official breed standard says that they are supposed to have white under their feet. It can vary, so again, the feet are NOT an accurate indicator. And yes, they are NOT always huge.

Agreed. Mine have a pinkish HUE...they are not pink. They are closer to white.

Another thing to think about...often times JG's and Australorps are bred together. Either way, you are going to have a nice egg layer or meat bird if you choose to get them.

10. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:That's not a very accurate indicator, since some Australorp too have yellow on their feet.

Even hatchery Australorps should never have yellow feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by