Black Jersey Giant size

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by florida lee, Aug 17, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Could some one post a picture of a Jersey Giant next to a Blk Australorp, so I can get an idea of their size. I have Australorps and have never seen a real live jersey Giant.

Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't have a photo of such comparison (sorry) But I will say that you must consider, Jersey Giants should be around 10 lbs, often more, so I'd say it is safe to assume the bird should be twice the size. [​IMG] - Unless your Australorps are show birds, then there won't be too much of a difference.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My jersey giants are not black, they are blue but one of my roos stands 30 inches tall and weighs 17 pounds He is now 2 1/2 years old. I had to have a special cage built to transport him to the show

[​IMG]

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:If he weighs 17 pounds he should be disqualified. Standard weight for a cock is 13 pounds. More than 20 % over that is a disqualification. The most a Giant cock should weigh w/o being disqualified is 15.6 pounds.

Standard weight for a cockerel is 11 pounds, a hen 10 pounds & a pullet 8 pounds.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Giant cock 13 pounds, Australorp cock 8 1/2 pounds. Actually quite a big difference.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A black Jersey Giant, Stan the Man is 5 months in this photo. He's tall and still filling out his frame. He's 9 lbs.

Sorry, I don't have a Australorp to compare him with.

[​IMG]

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Giant cock 13 pounds, Australorp cock 8 1/2 pounds. Actually quite a big difference.

She may have meant females... And, personally I think some exhibition Australorps are over-sized (at least some of the ones I've seen). But the real test would be to weigh them. Too bad they don't do that at the shows.....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by