Black Jersey Giant ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cold Canadian, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    So I have Jersey Giants from two breeders and one flock the Rooster is displaying a golden flex on his wings and some is showing up around his neck as well ? These are the black version and I'm a bit thrown off by the flexing ? Is this a sign that they are not pure ? On some of the chicks the shanks are black with yellow on the underside of the foot , and some are black on the underside of the foot ?? I was under the understanding that they should be yellow if they are pure in all the aspects of color ?? Any Ideas ??

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Quote:I did , but it seemed like my question was more on a breed 's question then the actuall breed ? But I'll repost on there as well .
    Thanks

4. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Well, I would not be much help as I have never owned any. But, any black breed I have owned, if they were not pure would have discolorations.
    This is in no way a Black Jersey Giant, but his color is affected by the sun. He is pure, but in the sun he has a rustic red coloring in his shoulders and such, but you can't see it out of the sun. It is pretty neat. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't know if that helps much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    It's just that the flexing looks like gold and I'm trying to find out which breed has that flex on the wings / neck ?

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

WOW.. I don't know, but THAT IS ONE PRETTY ROO! [​IMG]

7. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If he is not pure, then the gold flaking could come numerous breeds. The black would mask or darken other colors. He could still be breed to be set as pure. Do you have any pictures of the roo in question??

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    One of the members here has a BJG with gold leakage. I can't remember who it was, but the rooster had gold flecks in his hackles, but he was pure.

It might have been speckledhen... but I'm not sure...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Occasionally this happens in black birds. For show purposes it's a disqualification but it's not all bad news. It can be useful in the breeding pen. Using a male with this colour leakage will produce females with good sheen to their feathers. Many years ago I had some pretty good Black Rosecombs. I always kept one male with some red/gold leakage for this purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by