black jersey giants and black australorps, how and when will I be able to tell them apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by starfirefarms, Feb 16, 2017.

1. starfirefarms

starfirefarms New Egg

Jun 13, 2015
    I made the mistake of buying black jersey giants and black australorps in the same order ? I was wondering if when I will be able to tell them apart. I bought extra for some friends and family and a few to sell other than that. I separated them the best I could by putting those with similar feet colors together. But I can't tell them apart

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, Them is hard for me to tell apart. The bottom of the giants feet should be yellow. That should help. Seemed to work better when they were older. Call the hatcher---they can probably help if the yellow feet does not help you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    As PD-Riverman said Jersey Giants have yellow on the bottom of their feet while Australorps have white.

4. starfirefarms

starfirefarms New Egg

Jun 13, 2015
    Thank you. They all look yellow to me. Looks like we will all have to wait and see [​IMG][​IMG]

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would call the hatcher-----they should have not mixed them in my opinion. I have hatched a lot of both, I just never let them get mixed before selling them, BUT they were not a breed I knew a lot about. Maybe someone else has a sure fire way to tell besides their feet?? Good Luck

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never raised both breeds, so I'm not speaking from practical experience, but I think it might take a little while for the different foot-bottom color to become apparent.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree. I wonder if Jersey Giants grow faster or slower than Australorps. That might be a clue.

8. starfirefarms

starfirefarms New Egg

Jun 13, 2015
    They just told me the Giants have yellow feet. I wish they would have banded them. It is making it quite hard to tell them apart

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

This may not be what you want to hear, but does it really matter?

with so much hatchery stock, the sole difference seems to be skin color. No one can tell the difference in size, shape, egg production, etc. The sole criteria for determining a Jersey from an Australorp is cited as skin color, over and over. If that's the only practical difference, does it really matter?

I agree there *should* be quite a difference, especially in mature birds. But since there's apparently not so much, I'd just sell them as either/or. They're going to be black chickens that lay brown eggs regardless.

10. starfirefarms

starfirefarms New Egg

Jun 13, 2015

One lays way more than the other and the other one will be over 2 times in size. I was preferring to keep two of each kind. I will just need to raise them up longer than I expected. But I guess that's what I get for getting similar chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by