Black Jersey Giants or Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Liamm_1, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I've nailed the breed down to eaither JG and Aust. I was given these birds by a lady and since they are my first, I never even thought to ask her the breed. They have pretty purple, green, blue hues that show in the light on their black feathers. Black legs and bottoms of feet are yellow. They are 9.5 weeks old. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Quote:please show there feet [​IMG]

3. Liamm_1

Just realized how hard it is to get a good picture when they're not resting lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Look at the BOTTOMS of their feet. Jersey Giants should tend to the yellowish. Australorps should tend to the white. It won't be a stark contrast, but if you put them side by side you should be able to see a difference.

I once made the mistake of ordering both breeds in the same batch. The Giants for me, the Orpingtons for a friend. Had a real headache for a while until Feathersite clued me in to the bottoms of the feet thing. Started comparing them side by side and in about ten minutes had them sorted out.

5. Liamm_1

The feet are definitely more yellow than white on the bottoms...

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    They look like Jerseys- especially if they have yellowish bottoms to the feet. Can you get pics of the bottms for us? They also should have black beaks with yellow on the tips, but not always. They also tend to have bigger heads than Australorps, Ausi's tend to have a smaller, more feminine head. Jerseys have very thick legs too.

Check out the Jersey Giant thread by Kathyinmo, there are tons of great pics of many ages.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm gonna saw crow, they look like crows!

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If they're hatchery stock -- and it appears they probably are or originated from it -- the color of the bottoms of their feet is not an accurate indicator of their breed.

IMO, if at 9.5 weeks you've got three of them roosting across one side of an average sized milk crate they're probably not JGs. [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I lean towards BJG, since you say they have yellowish feet bottoms. Feet bottoms? Bottoms of their feet.

I have 1 pullet of each, a BJG and a BA. Neither are mature yet. I did have a BA hen, but she recently died. The BA's feathers were a wonderfully beetle black-green - and my BA pullet is looking like she'll be that pretty too. Hopefully the BJG will color out with that glorious sheen, as well. Right now I can tell 'em apart because the BA is a tad bit older than the BJG. Once they're full grown, I hope I won't have to look at the bottoms of their feet to tell which is which! (I'll be sure to check for that "more feminine head" mentioned by a previous poster.)

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    • Black Jersey Giants - should have Willow/Black legs and Yellow on the bottom of there feet.
    • Black Australorp - should have Black/Slate legs and Pink-ish color on the bottom of there feet.
    • Black Orpingtons - should have Black/Slate legs and White color on the bottom of there feet.

The bird in the last picture of post 3 is a rooster and looks game-ish.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by