Black Jersey Giants or Australorp?

Liamm_1

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area (East)
I think I've nailed the breed down to eaither JG and Aust. I was given these birds by a lady and since they are my first, I never even thought to ask her the breed. They have pretty purple, green, blue hues that show in the light on their black feathers. Black legs and bottoms of feet are yellow. They are 9.5 weeks old. Thanks!

70052_chickens.jpg

70052_chickens2.jpg

70052_chickens4.jpg

70052_chickens5.jpg

A.T. Hagan

Don't Panic
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
North/Central Florida
Look at the BOTTOMS of their feet. Jersey Giants should tend to the yellowish. Australorps should tend to the white. It won't be a stark contrast, but if you put them side by side you should be able to see a difference.

I once made the mistake of ordering both breeds in the same batch. The Giants for me, the Orpingtons for a friend. Had a real headache for a while until Feathersite clued me in to the bottoms of the feet thing. Started comparing them side by side and in about ten minutes had them sorted out.

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
They look like Jerseys- especially if they have yellowish bottoms to the feet. Can you get pics of the bottms for us? They also should have black beaks with yellow on the tips, but not always. They also tend to have bigger heads than Australorps, Ausi's tend to have a smaller, more feminine head. Jerseys have very thick legs too.

Check out the Jersey Giant thread by Kathyinmo, there are tons of great pics of many ages.

Olive Hill

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
If they're hatchery stock -- and it appears they probably are or originated from it -- the color of the bottoms of their feet is not an accurate indicator of their breed.

IMO, if at 9.5 weeks you've got three of them roosting across one side of an average sized milk crate they're probably not JGs.
wink.png

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
I lean towards BJG, since you say they have yellowish feet bottoms. Feet bottoms? Bottoms of their feet.

I have 1 pullet of each, a BJG and a BA. Neither are mature yet. I did have a BA hen, but she recently died. The BA's feathers were a wonderfully beetle black-green - and my BA pullet is looking like she'll be that pretty too. Hopefully the BJG will color out with that glorious sheen, as well. Right now I can tell 'em apart because the BA is a tad bit older than the BJG. Once they're full grown, I hope I won't have to look at the bottoms of their feet to tell which is which! (I'll be sure to check for that "more feminine head" mentioned by a previous poster.)

Chris09

Circle (M) Ranch
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Ohio
• Black Jersey Giants - should have Willow/Black legs and Yellow on the bottom of there feet.
• Black Australorp - should have Black/Slate legs and Pink-ish color on the bottom of there feet.
• Black Orpingtons - should have Black/Slate legs and White color on the bottom of there feet.

The bird in the last picture of post 3 is a rooster and looks game-ish.

Chris

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom