1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Jersey Giants (photo's now added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wexford Chuck, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Wexford Chuck

Wexford Chuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    Hi folks
    Can anyone tell me if BJG's have feathered legs as i have just brought 2 and 1 has feathered legs im pretty sure this is not a normal characteristic of a BJG but i could be wrong. I will post photos tomorrow.
    cheers X x X

[​IMG]

the one in front is a rooster and has feathers down the side of the legs as can be seen and the one at the back is a hen who has no feathers at all on her legs.
    can anyone please positivly I.D. this breed for me.
    Cheers x X x

[​IMG]

the roo can be seen at the back in this photo.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nope. You're thinking of Langshans or Cochins.

Jersey Giants should have clean legs.

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    Quote:i'm going to ditto that, not a black jersey giant.

luke.

4. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    thanks Luke and Illiathey do seem to resemble Langshans, can someone please verify this.
    i have also noticed the soles of there feet are yellow, hope this helps identify them,

5. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    This Is Just Me Saying Something But Doesnt That One In The Back In The Last Pic Look Like A Brahmas Face
    Thats Just Me So Idk
    Im Going To Say They Could Be Langshans. Maybe The One In The Front In The Last Pic But The One In The Back Could Also Be A Cochin.
    Hmmm

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    One of those is a Brahma, the other a Langshan. I just noticed you're not in the US, so you actually are able to have Black Brahmas. [​IMG]

The one with the small comb and "dewlap" between its waddles is your Brahma.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well First of all, I'm pretty sure that they are both hens .

Like birdman123 said, the one with feathered leggs has a Brahma head so I'd say that would is a Brahma cross and would probably make a great project black Brahma bird for someone wanting to work on the project.

The other one could be a pure hatchery quality BJG though if that is what the person told you it was, but it could be any kinda of mix or black breed. Its type doesnt really have anything specific that I can see that leans to a certain breed, but probably just a hatchery BLG.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:They don't have hatcheries over there. [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:They don't have hatcheries over there. [​IMG]

Oh I didnt see where the OP was from. But either way really you can find "hatchery" quality without a hatchery lol. but I'm not familar with the are so I dont know what they have there but I would still say the feathered legged on is possibly a Brahma X BLG and the other one just a lower grade BLG.

10. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    i am reasonably new to chicken keeping and would like to thank you for your suggestions, i am slightly more confused now.
    I am pretty sure the bird with the feathered legs is a roo because it has a spur on 1 leg and i thought only roos have spurs. I could be wrong. will try to get some better photos of the head and legs and post later.
    now its time for me to google and check out brahmas.
    Rareroo what is "a great project black Brahma bird" i have not come across this term before and it sounds like a project for someone with more experience than myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by