Black Jersey Giants VS Black Australorps

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
If I were to get a few Black Jersey Giants hens next spring, how would I be able to tell them from my Australorp hens? I'm thinking it would be impossible. I'm hoping there's some easy way to do this that I just not aware of like eye color or something.

Best way is to band them. Take a zip tie and put loosely on one leg. Check often as they grow and replace as needed. Or better yet, home improvement stores sometimes have colored velcro ties for keeping electrical/computer cords bound. Now if only I knew where I put the ones I have...

According to Feathersite, here is a quote
"Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants. "

I started using legbands. Adolescent Australorp pullets are impossible (for me anyway) to tell from same age black Penedesenca pullets. Luckily when mature the Penes get white earlobes.
I keep the black Jersey Giants in a separate pen.
Another thing is that good quality Jersey Giants should differ because of their size. Quality stock should be the biggest birds in your flock.

Last edited:
Jersey Giants have yellow soles.

Black Australorps have pink/white soles.

But if you weren't getting from a hatchery, they'd be VERY different.
wink.png
But sadly, hatcheries mush them together to all look the same. . .

Back
Top Bottom