Black Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Mar 24, 2012.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a flock of 26, all various breeds and I'm interested in getting some Jersey Giants. Are these good as pet chickens? What color eggs do they lay? Will they be ok with my flock of Orps, Brahama's, Cochins, Barred Rocks, Black Sexlinks, Red Stars, Ameraucanas and RIRs?

2. kiddobear39

kiddobear39 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    hello, about the Black Jersey Giant she will lay medium to large brown eggs and they are very calm and easy going so they should get along find with your other hens that you have. but of course your going to have to introduce them little by little.

3. jstagrl8110

jstagrl8110 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Our Jersey Black Giants are about 4 weeks old now. Purchased from efowl. We have Rhode Island Reds and Ply Barred Rock in our existing flock.... will keep you updated on behavior with existing flock : )

So far, so good. Beautifull, and sweet.

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks so much for replying. The reason I ask is that my neighbor got some meat birds, Cornish rock x, i think, and it's the saddest thing I ever saw. Their body literally grows so fast that their legs can't support the weight. They just lay there and eat.. We don't eat our chickens and I love all the different breeds hence wanting some giants so that puts my mind at rest. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by