Black Jersy Giant question. PICTURES ADDED

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicknduck, Nov 11, 2012.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I ordered Black Jersey Giant day old chicks from a hatchery and now that they are 2 weeks old 8 of them have stripes on their wings just like Barred Rock chicks get at this age I know because I have raise Barred Rocks before. Seeing as this is my first batch of Jersy Giants I thought I would ask before assuming that the hatchery mixed other breed in my order. I have been having issues with this hatchery and am thinking of trying another one. Thanks in advance for any info. PICTURES ADDED

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. dadtochickenfan

dadtochickenfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    My daughter raises black and blue Jersey Giants and we havent seen white on the wings yet. However, the chicks she breeds do sometimes have white on them for a few weeks. They have all grown out totally black though. Maybe just more time is needed.
    Our first attempt with Jersey Giants were from a hatchery (purchased through a local feed mill). Turned out, they weren't Jersey Giants, but Austrolorps. Given that Jersey Giants are a "hard to find breed", I wonder if hatcheries really have good enough stock to produce good birds as compared to the smaller breeders.

3. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I really appriciate it. They are looking even more different by the day. The now they have stripes on the tail feathers that are coming in and the have a solid orange beak and what looks to me to be a double comb. The 8 in question all had a yellow patch on the head when I got them but were a blackish grey everywhere else. Only about 8 out of 50 look like this all others have that tuxedo pattern like all the pictures I have seen of the Black Jersey Giants at this age. I am just curious what they are. Maybe I can get a picture on here tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. dadtochickenfan

dadtochickenfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Great! We will see how they compare to ours. Looking forward to seeing them

5. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]