Black labs and chickens don't mix

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by minihorse927, May 12, 2011.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Well, yet again, the neighbors black labs have killed most of one of my breeding pens. I have one sizzle pullet left from my sizzle pen and also had a some silkie pullets in there and one showed back up. I went up and had another talk with the neighbor again, sure it will not do me any good. Probably will keep the dogs chained for a couple days and they will be back. I wish people would keep thier dogs locked up or chained up or at least keep them on their own property. My dog does not wander off my place. He has no excuse to why his dogs were 2 houses down from his yard. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, he also can not pay for them either cause he is "out of work". I know it is hard to find a job right now but that is besides the point.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Oh that's awful.
    Blasted irresponsible dog owners.
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Have the same dogs done this before? Why don't you call animal control?

4. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    They have done this twice before now. I have called the pound as that is all I have here and the response was "shoot them while they are on your property". They claim if the dogs seem healthy than they can not do anything about them coming over here. I do have pictures of all the birds these dogs have killed and also one picture of the dog as it was leaving my place today as proof they were here. They just will not do anything to him or his dogs because I live in the middle of nowhere and the county is to poor to enforce anything.

5. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    shoot them

6. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Was actually going to shoot them today. I had my final straw with these dogs now. I went out to take pictures of a roo someone wanted to buy from me and found the dogs and chickens so all I was armed with was a camera at the time. I ran back in to get the gun and they were gone before I got back outside. They knew I meant business when I went back inside in such a hurry. I told the guy today the next time they are here, I will kill both of them. He said go ahead and do it, but I know as soon as they are missing he will change that tune. I just made sure I have proof of the dead chickens if it comes down to it again.

7. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    it perfectly legal to shoot them as long as its on your land you can do what you want...we had a couple of trouble makers here and I asked a cop what to do he said shoot em

8. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I'm so sorry for your chickens. [​IMG] It sounds like you've given the dog's owner plent of opprotunity to change. If he's out of work and can afford to feed these dogs, i'm sure he can afford a cable tie out. Do what you gotta do. If I was in the same boat, i'd consider hooking up the electric fence to the pen. ZZZZZAP!

9. DFamilyChicks

DFamilyChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm sorry to hear about your chickens!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Try not to yell next time so the dog will hopefully not run off.Then you can leash them and do as you wish with them. Due to the multiple losses which has cost you money I would say making them disappear would be best without notifying anyone.As you say you are on your own in the country,and the owner is a jobless man who could retaliate.Better the dog just disappear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by