Black Laced Lavender or lavender laced black?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Wich would be more stunning? I was just reading a forum that was talking about something like lavender laced cream when they crossed a GL Sebright to a lavender and took the lav split offspring and breed it back to each other to make the lav laced cream color. Could you make a lav laced black or black laced lav chicken? How would you go about making it, would you use something like a black laced chicken and breed it to a lav chicken and go from there? And is SB the same as lav?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i think black laced lav would look very pretty!!!!! but i dunno how you could go about making one.

3. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Thats what i was think to at first but then i was thinking about maybe like a green sheen black with a lavender lace around each feather and thought that maybe that would look even better!

4. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, but I think the only chicken you will see with black and lavender will be a photoshopped picture.
    Lavender is not a separate color, it is a diluted form of black. They don't exist on the same bird at the same time.

5. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    I believe I've seen a silver laced lavender wyandotte somewhere on the internet. Since the self blue(lavender not recognized by APA as a color) Orps are so common now, you should be able to pick a rooster up very cheap. I have seen the roosters go from free to $10. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:x2

7. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    DARN IT!!! I should of thought of that before [​IMG] Is there any other colors that would look amazing with lavender lacing?

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:actually lavender is not diluted black. blue is diluted black and they look the same but geneticly is not.
    to have both on one bird in solid color, not sure if that would change the look except it could be a lighter blue as lavender I think is a diluting gene.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:actually lavender is not diluted black. blue is diluted black and they look the same but geneticly is not.
    to have both on one bird in solid color, not sure if that would change the look except it could be a lighter blue as lavender I think is a diluting gene.

Yes Lavender most of the time is black diluted by two copies of the Lav gene. Both Lav. ( Lavender/ Self Blue) and Blue ( Andalusian Blue) are both dilution genes, however unlike Blue ( Andalusian Blue), in addition to diluting black, Lav. can also dilute gold. like in Porcelain dUccles. The White motting stays the same, the Black Chevrons are diluted to the Self Blue color, and the gold is diluted down to the cream/straw color. When a gold pattered bird is being diluted by Lav it is usually referred to as Isabel.

Andalusian Blue only dilutes Black though, one copy dilutes black to blue, two copies dilutes black to splash.

It would not be possible to make Lav laced black or black laced lav.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Double Post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by