Black Langshan? Cochin X Australorp? Help me ID my new hen, please? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunshyne276, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Bought a $3 pullet today.. I was told she is about 8 months old, not sure of the breed. She does have a big comb, but i'm hoping she is a "she". lol I've seen other hens with combs her size. My Minorca's comb is bigger than hers, so.. Hoping. lol

Ok, but my question is... Is she a Black Langshan? I've thought of everything else.. Black Australorp, Black Orpington....but she has feathered feet! So, I thought of a Black Cochin....but she's not fluffy enough. Then, I was about to settle on thinking she may be a Australorp X Cochin, when I found the Black Langshan! Some of these birds looks just like her, to me anyway! And some, not so much.

Whatever she is, i'm happy with her. Very pretty, and a sweet bird! Of course, I may find out different when I put her with the others. The lady that had her said she was the dominant bird in her flock. lol Anyway, she's black, with VERY shiny green, and a little purple, when the light hits her. Black/gray legs and beak. Feathers on her legs. Fluffy butt. lol

What breed does she look to you all?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a pic of her standing so we can see her legs to?

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    She looks just like my langshan, if that helps. :)

Here's my girl at about 7 months:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I didn't get any of her standing, but I did get one of her foot, just forgot to post! lol

5. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    [​IMG]
    One of her feathered feet

6. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Wow!! She sure does, Featherz! I honestly would NOT know them apart! Thank you!
    Looks like I have some reading to do on the Langshan breed, never knew they existed till today! lol
    [​IMG]

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    [​IMG]
    Mine is a hatchery bird, so I am sure she isn't 'pure', but she does have a pretty decent 'U' shape like a 'real' langshan. I have two of them, actually - both hatchery stock. They are huge compared to my other chickens and I was worried they were roos as well for a while, but she's all girl. :)

8. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Featherz, yeah i'm not sure if this one was a hatchery bird or a local breeder. Not sure where the lady got her from. But either way, pure of not, i'm happy with her. :) She's taming to me very well, eating from my hand now, and i've only had her a few hours. I was told that she wasn't especially tame. I dread putting her out with the others in a little while. Hoping they can get somewhat used to each other over night. From what I was reading, yours and mine look like the "Croad Langshan" type.. There are 3-4 types? And it says they lay dark brown eggs, sometimes with a slight purple tint. What color do yours lay? After reading they are a rare, endangered species, i'd like to find a rooster.

9. s1farmgirl

s1farmgirl New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    Looks alot lik my Jersey Giant...

10. altum89

altum89 New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    I have a Cochin X Australorp hen that looks just like her. The only reason she (mine) doesn't look like a full on Austalorp is because of her size. She's more squat and fluffy, like a Cochin. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by