black light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dovecanyon, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    I have been trying to find the ceramic heat bulbs that don't give off light, just heat. I haven't had any luck so far getting one locally. The fella at the reptile/bird shop told me to get the black light used for reptiles at night. He said it gives off the same heat as a regular bulb, but the animals don't see the light well, only very dimly. The reason I'm looking for the heat bulbs is so my chicks have the natural day-to-night progression, while still being warm. (light during the day, dark at night) Can I use the black light bulb for them? I have ordered the heat bulb online, but wonder if I can use the black until it arrives. thanks, again...

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Just be careful with the wattage. Someone on here posted that a 60 watt black light bulb puts out as much heat as a 120 watt white bulb, so you have to use a lamp fixture rated for at least double the wattage bulb you are using.

I think they'll be fine under the black light, just don't start a fire!

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Thank you! I have my brooder outdoors and have been using a 100 watt bulb, but I have had to lower it a lot to keep the temp up. This may be exactly what I needed. Now I can raise the lamp back up to where I don't have so much to worry about!

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Do you have a Pet Smart near you? They carry the ceramic heat bulbs. I got the 60 watt but it sure doesn't put out much heat.

5. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I got a really thin-glassed one from TSC and I was always afraid of it breaking from rough handling. I dropped it two days ago, and not only did it not break, it still WORKS too!

I've always felt more confident about the glass strength on the GE floodlights sold for outdoor/weather reistance, they have a thick flat glass front and generally seem sturdier than the one I got at TSC. However, I guess I liked it a little too much because it burned out today and now I'm back to the TSC one [​IMG]

7. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    What about a red bulb? Be careful with black lights, they really put out a whole lot of heat! Blistered my whole hand on one when I was a kid!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by