Black Maran not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sugarplumphoto, Sep 29, 2010.

1. sugarplumphoto

sugarplumphoto New Egg

May 31, 2010
    My black maran has decided to occasionally sleep near the nesting box. The roost is rather high and it always takes her awhile to settle but I don't know if it's too high and she's decided not to put in the effort or if something else is bothering her. She's only laid maybe 5 or 6 eggs yet hasn't laid in a a few weeks. She's a young girl ~ 7 or 8 months. No signs of what I imagine a broody hen is like, she's not sitting all day, she's up and active yet when I go to close up the house at night she's not up on the pole. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    When you lock the coop up at night, take her from where ever she is and place her on the roost. It really is a good idea for them to roost at night. It keeps them cleaner. It will only take a couple days to reinforce where "bed" is and soon you will be finding her exactly where she should be.

Good luck.

3. sugarplumphoto

sugarplumphoto New Egg

May 31, 2010
    She's gotten worse and cannot walk. I imagine this is why she wasn't on the roost. I just posted a new topic about it but am perplexed as to what's going on...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by