Black Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Albanydog, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    People are constantly asking us if we can take in their animals, and we usually do and then re-home those we do not wish to keep. A woman brought us this Cockerel a few days back, said he is about 5 months old and she bought a group of chicks from a local breeder as purebred Black Maran pullets. She didn't need another rooster and she also mentioned she did not believe he was a purebred because of his coloring? I would like to try and find him a new home before I have to pass him along to someone who just wants to eat him. Yes, we are terrible farmers and do not eat any of our animals. Would like to have an idea if he is or isn't a Maran so I can advertise....? Thanks for your opinions and expertise!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    It's not a Black Marans...it is an Easter Egger.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:x2

4. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    That would be why I couldn't find a single maran that looked anything like him..... Guess his former owner was right to think he wasn't a purebred.....Thanks everybody!

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x2

x 3 He is pretty though

6. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    He might be an Olive Egger. Someone may have been trying to make one by crossing Easter Egger with Black Copper Marans, and got a roo instead of a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by