1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Marans going to be black?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gitlost80, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I am picking up my Black Maran chicks next week.The eggs they are hatching from are very very dark,and the Rooster they came from is black/copper, and the hens are either black/cooper or solid black.Im new to having chickens and Ive heard there are different color variations.Im REALLY hoping mine will turn out to be black or black/copper.Any chance they can turn out to be one of the other colors Ive heard about?

2. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    You could try posting this question under the "breeds" forum; there may be a greater response/knowledge base there. [​IMG]

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    If you don't know the history of your breeder, Line, stock it will just be a wild guess then. Be weary because there are may people who think their birds are marans and they just look like marans. There are about 10 types of marans .. The cooco is the most common. You can even get those at hatcheries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by