Black marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raiderbabe239, Nov 5, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay so i was wondering if anyone on here has black marans, not black copper just black, i noticed on the byc breeds database on the marans it said there are just plain black marans. anyone have them? i want some eggs in the spring lol [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I do not believe anyone here in the US is having a successful time breeding just the black Marans. In France they are more popular but here there aren't any true blacks.
    I have roosters and hens that look black but I know they will molt off with some copper eventually or will at least produce coppers.

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Onthespot has some I believe...

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Peachick has some blue black and splash birds.

5. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    thanks ill try contacting onthespot i found that bev davis has some too and shes right here in florida lol

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    There are some in the US, but they are few and far between. And those that are here tend to not have very dark eggs, from what I have heard.

I saw some for sale just a coupla weeks ago. I saw them in person, and bought some other Marans (different varieties) from the same seller. But the black ones he had were purchased by Dick Dickerson, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by