black mass in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fjordlover, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fjordlover

fjordlover New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I went out to check for eggs and i found a egg that was not completely sealed and had like a gooey strand hanging out of it. i cracked it the egg was fine but had a black mass hanging in it the mass is hard. never seen anything like it before. the egg came out of a older hen. if someone know please let me know. thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Looks like she'll be retiring soon... How old is she? By retiring, I mean, retiring from egg laying.

3. fjordlover

fjordlover New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    she is five or older she was a hand me down chicken

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Well, if she were mine, I'd let her finish her life (and that could be several years) enjoying retirement. HOWEVER, keep an eye on her for the next several days to see if she starts acting wonky. I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting random eggs from her.

5. fjordlover

fjordlover New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    we've been getting random eggs from here for the last several weeks. its just the first time iv ever seen that black mass. thanks for the info she is my favorite so she will be sticking around till its her time to go.

6. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    It looks like blood... old blood looks black... Not sure why it would be in there though! good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by