1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black meat???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Jan 18, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    So I was told that some people especially the Japanese enjoy black chickens as a delicacy. All I could think of was silkies but that can't be right can it??? First they are really cute, but cuteness means nothing to me when I am hungry.... but they are so small as well... Do people do this or is there a black meatie bird that people use??? Is there a big market for this??? Got me thinking....

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I have heard that too about the silkies and the Japanese.

But,there are black and also red broilers too.They are not as popular but yes they are out there and many people like them.
    I have seen on here where some said the color of the feathers doesn't change the taste of the bird,but it does because the skin pigment is a different color and changes the taste of the skin.
    I was always bought up on the yellow or white skin,so I like the white bird.But if somebody was raised on dual purpose roosters from a family farm they may like the reds or blacks better.
    Check out some of the hatcherys for reds and the blacks.MMM doesn't have them but I think Strombergs,Ideal,and maybe Mt.Healthy might. Will

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes this is true, people of oriental decent love these small black skinned delicacies, the chinese folks in my area will trip over themselfs trying to get processed silkies. there also is a big oriental market for big old roosters for processing, I have seen auction rat's at our local auctions buy them by the hundreds every month, one rat told me that is who he sells them to. don't ask me why, but I will keep my eye out next time my DW want's to eat out at the one of 7 bazillion chinese resturants in our area.

AL

4. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I asked a oriental man why he liked the old hens? he said they fry the oviduct up and eat it. he said they eat the bird itself but that they particularly like the oviduct fried up..... (YUCKIE) [​IMG] but hey that is thier culture and who am I to be grossed out by it....

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I watched an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern (I'm 90% sure that was the show)... the Chinese markets he was walking threw showed tons of little black roasters. They said specifically that they were silkies. I guess it's sort of like a small game hen. People eat those all the time, quantity of meat isn't really an issue if it tastes good. Look at frog legs... [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Silkies are larger than Quail, lots of people eat those, also cornish hens. So would not think the silkie would be to small.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    We have processed extra silkie roos. They taste like chicken. [​IMG]
    Actually they are a great bird for eating and make excellent soup.

I have pictures and even a video but I'll hold back.

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Do a google search for Chinese silkie chickens and you'll see the meat in packages ready to be sold!

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:My mother did cook the oviduct, ate it when I was young, tasted lot like egg yolks, she also cook all those eggs that were forming, Not much was waste in my younger day. Grandmother even ate the neck,and lower half of the leg and foot.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:That is OK for you but for me I am grossed out, you have no idea of how many gross things they just adore. but then again that kinda thing was born from, waste not, so hey bring on the chicken feather soup LOL LOL.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by