Black mites please help

Yuki

Songster
5 Years
Sep 13, 2017
Im in New York for the past month there were less than one mm long black bugs on the coop and the hens but I don't realize it at the time but they were mites now the are almost half an centameter long on the hens we did a treatment of dinsactive Earth ( sorry don't remember the name on the top of my head) dry and poultry spray I don't have access to garlic juice I just don't know what kind it is

Have a look at this article to try and identify what they are as that affects how/what you treat:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Diatomaceous Earth won't do anything to kill the mites (I know this from experience). Ensure the chickens have somewhere nice and dusty to dust bathe (I like using peat moss) but they will need some sort of treatment to break the life cycle of the mites.

Permethrin spray or garden dust is very good to use at 7 day intervals on chickens to treat mites. Use at least twice to get the live mites and the newly hatched ones. Empty the bedding from the coop, spray coop, and add new bedding. Mites can be difficult to get rid of.

Alright thanks we have only done treatment once I just don't want them to suffer

Back
Top Bottom