1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? Black Monday?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are we all ready for the meltdown tomorrow?
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080914/tbs-uk-markets-global-7318940.html

I figured it wouldn't happen until October or November.

I should have got out of the market 6 months ago. Oh well... I'm glad I have some cash, food, gold and 8 acres of farm land. House is paid for free and clear, maybe we can survive on eggs?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Keep safe my friend. Much the same happening here...the world is going crazy.

3. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I really wonder what we're gonna be in for [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm moving to Canada....

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Well considering that the Fed was trying to arm wrestle the major banks and brokers into buying or dividing lehman amongst themselves without a fed bailout, I'd say that the attempt was a failure. The fact that Bank of America and Mother Merrill are talking about merging leads me to believe that we will see at least one bankruptcy and possibly two or three in the coming week...

I think we need to see this happen to flush out the financials...

Hiding bad investments on their balance sheets is way too prevalent and it's about time the government made somebody pay the piper for poor investment decisions. Everybody loves when stocks go up like crazy and forget that sometimes they are well overvalued and that there is risk as well....

Maybe if the Fed demanded the financials to have more transparent balance sheets like every other company, we wouldn't be in this mess. The financials have brought this upon themselves...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Think good thoughts! As my Grandma used to say....hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

7. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm seriously worried that we'll see some more bank failures this week. My bank (Chase) is way in over it's head with BAD loans. Forget Bank of America... 6 months ago they were courting illegal aliens as clients here in Phoenix, I can't even imagine how they could think of taking Merrill Lynch on they are not solvent enough.

This is scary stuff and with some folks back east now paying over $6.00/gallon of gas, it's time to hunker down and prepare for simpler times John Boy. Good night.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I guess I'd be more worried if I actually had a bank account with ANYTHING in it...LOL

Between the price of putting gas in the car, and the electric bill, we barely have anything else to pay for the rest of our bills.

9. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, the electric bill should soon start to decrease with cooler weather, use any extra $$ to store some food for a rainier day. You may need it.

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:I guess I'd be more worried if I actually had a bank account with ANYTHING in it...LOL

Between the price of putting gas in the car, and the electric bill, we barely have anything else to pay for the rest of our bills.

That's just what I was thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by