Black Mottled Cochin X Silkie (UPDATED the Results are in!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JD, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a Black mottled cochin that went broody so I stuck 4 eggs under her. My white silkie roo has mated her. What will the chicks look like? Will they have some of her colorings or all be white? Does anyone have any pictures of this combination. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm at total loss on what to expect. I've been all over the site trying to find this and not much luck. Thanks for all your help.

Here is a pic of her
    [​IMG]
    A pic of him
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    There is not way to tell you for sure becuase there is no way to know what color the white silkie roo is making. But I have a pullet that was from the same but reversed cross, ( Mottled Cochin roo on white silkie hen ) and she is solid black with a beard, but unlike most silkie crosses, she doesnt have dark skin or a tuft. But I can tell you that the chicks wont be mottled like the hen becuase mottling is recessive and has to have two copies to show it. your chicks may have some motting when they are young but it will molt out.

3. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Anyone else with possibly some pictures?

4. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    hi here is my cochin cross silkie it doesn't have the black skin and 5 toes.
    [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 5 or 6 chicks running around here that are from a black mottled cochin rooster and a white silkie hen. One of the chicks is white, the rest are all black. All of them look like cochins as babies, they shouldn't get the silkie feathers. If I remember I'll get some pics later for you [​IMG]

6. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    That will be great shellyd2008. I'm just wondering if there will be any black at all in the babies. Don't really care about the mottling. Anyway I bet they'll be pretty anyway. I think they will be due 2nd week of July and I think I may have two under a broody buff that's is due any day now along with other ee and mutts.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Of course I forgot the pics [​IMG] I'll try again tomorrow [​IMG]
    I doubt that any will show mottling, mottling is recessive, so it takes 2 genes for it to express. Unless your silkie carries mottling (highly unlikely) you'll get chicks that are split-mottled, or carry the mottling gene.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Finally I remembered to get a couple pics, though not as many as I would like to have gotten.
    First is the only white, a pullet. Ignore the camera hog in front [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is one of the blacks, I think this one is a little roo
    [​IMG]

All of the little silkie/cochins have straight combs, black skin, and 5 toes per foot.

ETA: the last one appears to have lacing on the feathers, which would make it a blue. If it is blue, it is very, very dark!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thanks for replying shelley. Well these baby should have been due sometime next week and I candled today and they were clear! I was so looking forward on seeing what they would turn out like. The silkie has done the deed many time but apparently he is not contacting her through that fuzzy butt. I went on ahead and took her off the nest after candeling and apparently she knew, stayed out all day dusting. I do have 2 black mottled babies that are a month old and I think one is a male, so maybe next spring I can try breeding him with her. Will have to cut some of that fuzz back there tho, lol.

10. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Light or dark skin, 4 toes, normal feathers, black, white, or blue (NO mottling), single or rose comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by